A Home of Our Own
Furkids has some exciting news! We are moving our Doraville cat shelter and headquarters to a larger campus on a 10-acre property that offers more space and a healthier environment for Furkids animals to live; a more inviting atmosphere for potential adopters to interact with adoptable pets; a beautiful, peaceful, green space for volunteers and visitors; and more room for Furkids to expand its lifesaving programs. Furkids had been leasing the property for its Doraville cat shelter, and the new Cumming location is a permanent home — a home of our own!
We are happy to share our progress as we move to our headquarters and cat shelter to this campus location. Please check this page frequently for updates, including events at and near our new home!
A message from Sam Shelton, Furkids' CEO and Founder
“We shelter approximately 200 cats, and our greatest need is to find forever homes for our feline Furkids, rather than moving them to a new shelter. Will you make room in your home for one cat who desperately needs the security of your family? If you can’t adopt, can you provide a temporary foster home for a cat?"
A Few Facts About Our Move
- We will open the Cumming campus headquarters and cat adoption center at 5235 Union Hill Road in mid-October and ramp down operations at the Doraville headquarters and cat shelter through the end of 2019.
- Cats will be housed temporarily at an existing building at the Cumming campus headquarters while we raise money to build a new cat shelter on the campus.
- The Furkids dog shelter will remain in its current location nearby in Alpharetta. Dogs will periodically visit the campus headquarters for adoption and volunteer events.
- Furkids will maintain cat adoption centers at our several Atlanta area Petco and PetSmart stores, and is opening a new, multi-purpose satellite center on Holcomb Bridge Road in Peachtree Corners next to our existing Thrift Store. Furkids will also maintain its TransFUR program that transports Georgia’s homeless animals to no-kill shelters in northern states where they are highly adoptable.
- The Furkids foster program will continue with in-home foster services provided by generous volunteers and staff.
How you Can Help Our Kitties During Our Move
Furkids is asking prospective adopters to act now and open their homes to Furkids cats who’d rather have a forever home than endure a move. 100 cats need homes immediately. Through the month of September, Furkids is offering special pricing for cat and kitten adoptions. Search adoptable cats. Search adoptable dogs. Questions about adoption? Email us.
Change is hard, particularly for cats who are older, shy, or have medical issues. The transition to our new facility will be challenging for many of our cats, so we are asking your help to make the transition as smooth as possible for them. Can you give them a home for six or more months, so we can work on expanding their new home? Furkids will provide all vetting, food and litter that you need. If you can help through this transition, and make a difference in their lives.
We always welcome donations for the ongoing care of our animals. Care for each Furkid is $50 per month; $600 per year. Please visit the Donate page if you would like to make a general donation. If you would like to donate for the care of a specific animal, click on the "Sponsor" button in that animals' bio. Search for cats to sponsor. Search for dogs to sponsor.
|13-15||PetSmart National Adoption Weekend Locations Special Pricing|
|28||Puppies and Pilates @ Halcyon|
|1||Yappy Hour @ Halcyon (and every Tuesday thereafter)|
|17||GOGA Kids Mindfulness Series @ new Furkids Campus|
|19||Open House/Trunk or Treat @ new Furkids Campus|
|26||Day of Service @ new Furkids Campus|
Learn more about Furkids
The Furkids mission is to rescue homeless animals, provide them with the best medical care and nurturing environment while working to find them a forever home. Furkids heals the whole animal, physically and emotionally, restoring its health and its spirit. Watch this video to get just a brief glimpse of the work Furkids does, and our new home.